decent air regulator reccomendations for HF compressor and nailgun . also how to

Old 02-11-11, 01:17 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
decent air regulator reccomendations for HF compressor and nailgun . also how to

Sorry for my absolute lack of any expertise on the subject I purchased a compressor and a nail gun from harbor freight recently

both are made by central pneumatic

nail gun model 98751*

10 Gauge 6-in-1 Air Framing Nailer

compressor model 67847

2.5 HP, 21 Gallon, 120 Volt 125 PSI Cast Iron Vertical Air Compressor

I also picked up this 16 Piece Professional Air Accessory Kit

after reading both manuals it looks like i will need an air regulator that has a water trap/separator.

I don't mind putting pneumatic oil in the nail gun to keep it working so i'm not too keen on buying an air regulator that has an oiler (even thought it looks like most air regulator are built with a water trap and oiler.)

I also see an air regulator that has an oiler and a water trap/separator as just one more thing that could leak air. Furthermore all the air regulator from harbor freight have horrible user ratings... so i'm trying to shy away from HF's air regulator even though I got my nailgun and compressor from them heh.

Can anyone recommend a quality brand air regulator that has a water separator/filter/trap ? Or if its smarter to just get an air regulator that has both the oiler and water separator that is fine.

Campbell Hausfeld Campbell Hausfeld Filter/ Regulator - PA207803AV at The Home Depot this one looks good. and I'm guessing it will do the job

I'm really doubting i have to spend the $162 for this pricey air regulator Porta Nailer Filter Regulator - 50233 at The Home Depot

My second question has to deal with attaching the new air regulator to the compressor

I need to remove the cheap air regulator that came with the compressor seen here on the right

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...z/IMG_0296.jpg

But I'm not sure what size wrench i'll need for this bolt / fitting or whatever its called seen here

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...z/IMG_0298.jpg

I'm not even sure if i need to disconnect that bolt to remove the cheap air regulator that came with the HF compressor?

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...z/IMG_0297.jpg Here is another view of the bolt that i believe needs to be removed for the new air regulator.

I tried to loosen that bolt with my adjustable wrench but it is quite a tight squeeze to get the wrench in there and it wouldn't budge... Any clue on what size wrench would work in the manual it just refers to that part as the "connector"

If anyone can recommend an air regulator, and give me some basic instructions on how to remove the current cheap air regulator and install a new air regulator with a water trap / oiler I would truly appreciate it.

Old 02-11-11, 04:42 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Can you tell us what is wrong with the factory pressure regulator? Do you use this as a stationary unit or is it wheeled about for jobs? I wouldn't use a FRL setup mainly because any lubrication you send down the hose will remain there and if you ever decide to paint something, kiss it goodbye. Lube the guns regularly and leave the lubrication out of the line. I add on a water separator to my stationary compressor, but it is used for more than nail guns. My jobsite compressor is emptied daily of condensation, and that condensation doesn't make it to the tools, so a separator isn't necessary.

Old 02-11-11, 04:57 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
A water separator works best when it's installed a distance away from the compressor. I'm a little surprised at the bad reviews for HF regulator. I bought this one Industrial Air Filter Regulator Unit about 25 yrs ago and it still works fine although I did break the glass on the gauge a couple of yrs ago.

Like Larry, I don't understand the need to replace the factory regulator
I have 2 air compressors; 1 stationary with a 60 gal tank [uses the HF reg] and a portable 11 gal tank. I don't use a water separator on the portable compressor and if the tank is drained with each use - there is rarely any moisture issues.

almost forgot welcome to the forums!

Old 02-11-11, 05:55 AM
M
Do this. Take the factory reg off and put a 40 micron filter in its place. Just the filter. It won't do much for catching water, but at least it'll keep the dirt out the hose.

Old 02-11-11, 09:25 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Some central pneumatic compressors don't come with a regulator

I got mine at Lowes when I bought my regulator-less compressor from Harbor Freight

Old 02-11-11, 12:34 PM
P
nothing is wrong with the factory pressure regulator. I think I just assumed incorrectly that I would need to replace it with a better air regulator that has an oiler and a water separator.

the unit is wheeled about for jobs.

I'm only using this compressor for nail gun, for framing.

I just want to have a water filter/separator in between the compressor and nail gun so that water doesn't make it to the nailgun and screw it up

Perhaps i don't need a water filter if I drain my tank at the end of the day like chandler?

Or if I'm using the nail gun for a good part of the day would I need a water filter?

If so where would it be in the chain of compressor --> tubing ---> water filter ---> tubing ---> nail gun ?

If I do need to remove the factory air regulator I'm a bit confused on how to exactly as it looks difficult to remove, and difficult to find a replacement that will fit properly at the original location on the compressor.

I need to remove the cheap air regulator that came with the compressor seen here on the right http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...z/IMG_0296.jpg

But I'm not sure what size wrench i'll need for this bolt / fitting or whatever its called seen here

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...z/IMG_0298.jpg

I'm not even sure if i need to disconnect that bolt to remove the cheap air regulator that came with the HF compressor?

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...z/IMG_0297.jpg

Here is another view of the bolt that i believe needs to be removed for the new air regulator. I tried to loosen that bolt with my adjustable wrench but it is quite a tight squeeze to get the wrench in there and it wouldn't budge...
Any clue on what size wrench would work in the manual it just refers to that part as the "connector" If anyone can recommend an air regulator, and give me some basic instructions on how to remove the current cheap air regulator and install a new air regulator with a water trap / oiler I would truly appreciate it.

Old 02-11-11, 01:15 PM
M
If you abolutely must have a water trap (which will not be efficient on a portable compressor), put it as close to the gun/tool as you can. If your hose is long enough, you may catch a drop or two of condensation. I'd go with chandler's suggestion instead - drain the tank daily. A regulator must work on dry, clean air. The way yours is mounted right on the tank manifold without a pre-filter, it'll collect dirt, oil and hard water residue and be done in about 3 months. Just MO, but regulators are pretty useless on portable compressors.

Old 02-11-11, 01:17 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I'd leave the original regulator alone - if it ain't broke - don't fix it

My portable compressor was used mostly for painting and sanding and I never had a big moisture issue. A lot depends on the humidity, when I lived in fla and I was using the compressor most of the day, I'd bleed out some of the water at lunch time and completely drain it at the end of the day. Here in tenn there is virtually no humidity as compared to fla - and my compressors produce a significantly smaller amount of water. IMO keeping the tool oiled is more important than worrying about a small amount of moisture. By oiled, I mean a few drops in the tool before using it.

I doubt there is any way to tell what size wrench fits your regulator without seeing it in person. The odds are it's a metric size. If you don't have a good set of wrenches [why are you using an adjustable wrench?] I'd look at this as an opportunity/excuse to buy a set

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: