Repairing A Leaking Water Valve

Old 01-21-09, 01:19 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Repairing A Leaking Water Valve

The valve on my hot water line to the clothes washer is leaking. It is one where it changes the direction of flow by 90 degs like a toilet shutoff valve. It feels as though it has worn out rubber washers inside it as turning the valve seems to not stop, but I do not want to keep turning it lest I break the valve. I cannot see any brand name on the valve as it is recessed into the wall.

Are there any sites that have good, detailed illustrations of valves that may show me what I may be dealing with? Thanks.

Last edited by WildcatRay; 01-21-09 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Subscribe to thread
Old 01-21-09, 05:36 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
if this is for a laundry tub then a regular fixture stop valve could be used. it sounds like you have a gate valve with a brken stem. if thats the case and you want to replace it with something similar then a ball velve would be in order.

in any case it sounnds like opening the wall right there and doing some soldering will be involved

Old 01-21-09, 08:16 PM
W
Nope, not a laundry tub faucet. It is a valve that fits on the end of the supply line pipe which is inset into the wall. By directing the water flow 90 degs, the washer hose easily comes out from the wall to the washer. Think of the shutoff valve for toilets except this valve fits straight onto the supply line pipe.

Last edited by WildcatRay; 01-21-09 at 08:18 PM. Reason: Correct typos
Old 01-21-09, 10:59 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
oh ok. that is probably a quarter turn laundry valve. only thing you can do is replace it

Old 02-14-09, 10:29 AM
C
Originally Posted by plumbermandan
oh ok. that is probably a quarter turn laundry valve. only thing you can do is replace it
Hey I'm going to be changing my haot water supply valve to my kitchen sink. Do I need to worry about ruining my gas water heater when I shut off my main water supply and draining the hot water pipes and water heater (i would assume drains at the same time) while changing the valve? If there is some kind of protection built into a water heater could I just shut the supply to the water heater off and drain only the hot side of the house when changing this valve?

Old 02-14-09, 10:37 AM
C
Originally Posted by plumbermandan
Hey I'm going to be changing my haot water supply valve to my kitchen sink. Do I need to worry about ruining my gas water heater when I shut off my main water supply and draining the hot water pipes and water heater (i would assume drains at the same time) while changing the valve? If there is some kind of protection built into a water heater could I just shut the supply to the water heater off and drain only the hot side of the house when changing this valve?

Old 02-14-09, 10:48 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
You need to turn it to the vacation setting, if it has one. That will keep the pilot lit (if it has one), but the burner won't fire. If it is wired to electrical, just turn it off at the safety switch or breaker. This will also keep the burner from firing.

Make sure you completely refill it after the work is done. Turn the supply back on and open all the hot water faucets til no air comes out.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: