Snowblower won't start

Old 12-20-08, 07:10 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Snowblower won't start

Hi,
I have a Troybilt/tecumseh 5.5 hp snow blower, might be 3/4 years old. Never had a problem until today. Went to start it up but nothing........take of the cover to look at the carb....press primer button and notice no matter howmany times I press it, I never smell fuel. I hear air moving in and out. I pressed the small valve at the bottom of the carb.....no fuel came out. I removed the small reservior at the bottom of the carb and no fuel is in the reservior, but some green residue. I clean this with some carb cleaner, and actually fill the reservior with some fuel before replacing. I try to pull start and she cam to life........for about 15 seconds. I check the valve again, no fuel come out. I am not a mechanical person but I check the line out of the tank and fuel is flowing fine. So I guess my problem is the primer button? Maybe? Any help? Beer 4U2

Thanks
ThreePutt316

Old 12-20-08, 09:55 AM
I
Primer is NOT the problem. The needle valve is stuck closed.
That same green residue you saw in the resivor has also coated everything inside the carb. The carb needs to be taken apart & cleaned.
The button on the bottom is the fixed jet. No gas should come out of there.

Old 12-20-08, 10:04 AM
T
Originally Posted by indypower
Primer is NOT the problem. The needle valve is stuck closed.
That same green residue you saw in the resivor has also coated everything inside the carb. The carb needs to be taken apart & cleaned.
The button on the bottom is the fixed jet. No gas should come out of there.
Thanks I will give it go. Can I just remove it from the machine and spray well with a carb cleaner? The last thing I want to do is make thing worse. But I guess if its not runnning it can get to much worse.

Thanks

Old 12-20-08, 12:04 PM
I
I suggest soaking it for a few hours in a soaking Carb cleaner.
Reason: that green gunk is INSIDE the carb

Old 12-20-08, 03:16 PM
T
OK, first thank you for your help. But I have opened pandora's box! I took the carb off and started to clean...The needle valve I assume is attached to the float. When I looked inside the hole that the needle is in, it appreared very corroded. I sprayed carb cleaner directly in the opening. When I looked in again the washer/seal was torn and falling apart. Looked like it was dry rot. The entire bushing/washer/seal came out.
I put everything back together again. Released the full line clamp I put on just under the tank, and fuel just poured and poured until it overflowed out of the carb. I'm guessing I needed that seal.

Old 12-20-08, 05:02 PM
I
Yes. That "seal" is the seat for the needle valve. The kit for that is Tecumseh #631021. It has the needle, needle clip, seat, and carb bowl "o-ring". Cost about $8.
Oh, I forgot. You are in Mass. Add $20 for sales tax...LOL.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: