Shift Shaft alignment with lower unit.

Old 08-07-10, 06:24 PM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Shift Shaft alignment with lower unit.

After changing my impeller and reasembling (1994 60HP Mercury), out of water tests seem to indicate that I have only forward gear, no reverse. Can I get a few words on properly setting alignment of shift shaft from gear housing to shaft in driveshaft housing, before pulling the sections together?

Old 08-07-10, 09:10 PM
S
When I pull the gearcase I make sure they are in neutral as well as the control box. So you need to shift the control box so the gearcase is in neutral then drop it down and then have someone to shift the control box back into neutral and then put it back up. The drive shaft should still line up with the crank shaft splines. Once it's up in place just tighten one bolt and with the motor off spin the prop by hand and shift it to be sure you have both gears.

Old 08-08-10, 01:09 PM
I
When nothing is connected, the gear housing splines will rotate about 200 degrees while the connector from the shifter, from neutral, only rotates about 40 degrees when moved to reverse and then 40 degrees the opposite direction when moved to forward position. So I think I need to know where the gear housing splines should be set. More clockwise or mostly counter clockwise or somewhere in the middle? I'm sure I don't know how it works. I spin the drive shaft by hand clockwise and no matter which position the shift shaft is in, I only get forward propeller spin.

Old 08-08-10, 02:04 PM
S
It should be about center. The shaft in the case will rotate clockwise to engage forward and counterclockwise to engage reverse. I'm not aware of a cretin position to set it at other than by feel.

Old 08-19-10, 07:23 PM
I
Here is the information that got me over the hump. My shift shaft was in no-mans land. I didn't know the actual gear area was opposite no-mans land. I also didn't know the shift shaft could turn 360*.
If you've turned the lower shift shaft into the no-mans land before reassembling then there won't be enough rotation from the upper linkage to get it into gear and you are stuck in a sort of FWD gear.
You will need to drop the LU and put both the control AND LU into neutral. Only turn the lower shift shaft CCW to be safe. It can rotate 360*. Due to the shape of the shift cam, you may twist or break the shift shaft if you try to rotate it CW. As you turn the shift shaft (use 9/32" socket over the end of the shaft and a ratchet to turn it) there will be lots of freeplay then resistance. That will be entering FWD gear. Should feel a slight detent as you continue to rotate and that will be FWD gear. Continue rotating until a firm detent is felt, that is neutral. Rotate more and you will feel another slight detent which will be reverse. Rotate more and you are back into no-mans land.
Once you feel comfortable that you have identified all three gears, it is safe to shift CCW and CW between FNR. Remember, don't turn CW if you get past the REV detent, just continue to turn CCW until you hit the FWD gear lobe again.

Old 03-14-13, 01:36 PM
W
Question Reverse locking

When reinstalling lower unit where does the Cam upper reverse locking get set at, and what does it do.
Can any body answer this part of the install.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: