Roper gas range (Oven) won't light

Old 12-26-09, 04:38 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Roper gas range (Oven) won't light

I also have an older Roper gas range, model #F6558LO, and it suddenly decided to stop doing the electric start for flame-on. It used to make a clicking sound when you turned on a burner or the oven, but now it does nothing except leak gas into the air. It started when my wife started complaining a lot about the stove, stating that she wanted a new stove. I told her we didn't have the money and she should be happy she had a working stove. I guess the stove overheard her complain, because when she started, it stopped working right. I told her that men understand that machines have feelings too. So now, we still can't afford a new stove, and dad has a new project to work on. I am guessing this particular model might be as old as 18 years or so, which, if it lasted that long, I guess that is a good thing. However, it came with the house we bought 2 years ago, and is probably on its last leg. The stove gets electricity because the clock and oven light work, which should be on the same supply as the igniter. So, I don't think the stove just isn't getting juice. I am guessing it is a thermostat perhaps or something else. What do you think?

Last edited by Sharp Advice; 12-27-09 at 06:40 AM. Reason: Suspect Only Oven Sparker Not Working. Added Oven to Title
Old 12-27-09, 06:37 AM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello gnomonklater and Welcome to the Do It Yourself Web Site and to the Gas Appliances topic.

This is what I have to assume is the problem based upon the description. It is not clearly stated what sparkers and where aren't working.

No sparkers anywhere on the stove are working. (???) As though there isn't any electric power to ANY sparkers? Yet there is power to the appliance. Or is it just the oven sparker that isn't sparking?... Kindly advise.

If only the oven sparker isn't sparking, then the sparking assembly in the oven has to be replaced. Verify this with your local retail appliance parts store. Listings in the phone book. Bring the make, model and serial numbers.

I separated your post from an outdated thread posted 4-5 years ago. Helps to eliminate more confusions that way. However, good to know you searched the archives for a solutions.....

Read the sticky note HERE You'll find more information, detail problem description and possible solutions to the problem within it......

Cautionary Reminder Note:
Before attempting any repairs, be sure to unplug the appliance from the wall receptacle power source first.

Use the reply button to add additional information, problem solutions, detailed problem descriptions or questions after you determine the problem cause and attempt solutions. Using the reply button keeps or moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically and keeps all communications on this subject in this thread.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: