Modifying a furnace for sealed combustion???

Old 10-29-08, 08:43 PM
U
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Modifying a furnace for sealed combustion???

Okay, this is a secondary question about my Janitrol 92. It is setup as an open air combustion system and pulls directly from my open basement (no utility closet). It vents combustion air outside via a 2" PVC through the foundation. I want to burn outside air and stop my house from pulling in makeup air into the ambient basement. The plan is to run another 2" PVC pipe outside 12"+ away from the vent and run it to the furnace. Problem is that it's the unit has an open louvered housing with no top so there isn't an intake pipe I can hook up to.

Question is, are there any problems sealing the louvers and the top and then running the 2" pipe into the unit via a flange and hole in the top or side? This way I would be supplying and exhausting combustion air via outdoor air. I would leave some joints and seams open when I seal the combustion chamber surrounding so that if the 2" pipe doesn't supply enough air it could still pull from ambient, but would hope most air would come through the pipe.

Thanks for any input!

B

Old 11-01-08, 05:03 PM
U
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
bump, need an answer on this if I can get it

anyone?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: