No more land line - how to fake out alarm system?

Old 09-01-09, 07:10 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
No more land line - how to fake out alarm system?

I have eliminated my land line and my Brinks security system now shows a communications error. How can I get rid of this error? Can I apply voltage on the phone jack of the alarm system? How much voltage?

Old 09-01-09, 08:11 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Upvotes on 268 Posts
It's not voltage, it's failure to successfully communicate with the Brinks central station.

There's no way to fake it. The local Brinks franchise _might_ (for a service call fee) set the system as a local only, but I wouldn't bet on it.

The only thing you can do with a Brinks panel if you don't want to work with Brinks is to replace the keypad(s) and control with a non proprietary system.

Old 09-02-09, 06:22 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Then I don't understand why the unit started beeping when the land line was disconnected. I just want to get the unit to stop beeping and be usable as a local alarm. I was thinking if I can fake it out to thinking there is a local land line, then the beeping would stop.

Old 09-02-09, 07:57 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Upvotes on 268 Posts
The system monitors _both_ telco voltage _and_ successful communication with the central station.

It's a Brinks system. They have one of the most proprietary setups on the market, and about all you can do with it once the failure to communicate starts is junk it, unless you are willing to work with Brinks.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: