AFCI and GFCI questions

Old 03-23-09, 09:52 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
AFCI and GFCI questions

before calling for another rough-in inspection, I figured I would get some more done-namely garage and mudroom. question is about a LIGHTING ONLY circuit-NO receptacles. I was thinking it does NOT need any AFCI or GFCI since there are no receptacles in garage (or anywhere on circuit) that would need GFCI and don't think mudroom in general needs AFCI. Am I correct?

another circuit is lighting only circuit in master bath, master closet. closet needs AFCI, so entire circuit will have that. I don't think the bathroom switched LIGHTS need GFCI, only bathroom receptacles and there won't be any on this circuit. Sound OK?

Old 03-23-09, 09:55 PM
H
forgot to mention, first circuit will also have two outdoor lights -one between garage doors and one outside door from mudroom leading to a deck out back. Didn't think this would change things, but figured best to let you know.

Old 03-23-09, 10:38 PM
H
gee, I thought of something else. one of the switches for the mudroom lights will be in the pantry in a multi-gang box that will include switches for the pantry lights. The pantry lights will be with kitchen lights on same circuit. If those will require AFCI?, then if the switch box is considered an "outlet" then the mudroom/garage lighting circuit would need to be AFCI also since this circuit goes through the "outlet"? I have another post about the use of term outlets, it is toward bottom of this thread --

http://forum.doityourself.com/electr...need-gfci.html

although I haven't seen for sure that pantry/kitchen lighting circuit needs AFCI, I know that I have heard it said that most circuits get either AFCI or GFCI now? I guess that is true of receptacles but not so sure about if no receptacles on circuit?

Old 03-23-09, 10:54 PM
F
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
If your area do take in 2008 code cycle then yes almost everything will required AFCI but I did not get a chance to read the Fineprint details related to basement luminaries if unfinshed I doubt it unless the local code make the deletement or addmentent to the NEC code requirement.

I will dig up little more info if i can find more details realted to this situation here.

So ., just hang on tight one of our members will chime in more answer along the way.

Merci,Marc

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: