Stick nailer not driving nails home

Old 05-31-08, 08:31 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Stick nailer not driving nails home

I just bought a Campbell Hausfeld Iron force 3 1/2" Angle framing nailer. I can't get the nails go all the way into the wood, they stick out anywhere from 1/4" to 3/4". I've done everything the book says to adjust the depth but it doesn't work.

The only thing i don't know about is i'm using a small air tank i bought with my brad nailer. I've got 100 psi on the regulator, but i don't know if it just doesn't have enough volume to push the nails or it that even matters. Or if my hose is even big enough....

Any input would be great .
thanks

Old 05-31-08, 08:36 PM
C
Compressor size matters more on the second shot, if the volume is inadequate. You mentioned the air hose. How long is it and what size? Did you lubricate the gun before starting to work?

Old 06-01-08, 03:21 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
You say you have 100 psi, is that at the tank or the outlet pressure? You need 90 psi at the outlet for most framers. How big (volume) is your compressor. Length of hose won't matter. It is just an extension of your compressor. In fact, you should never move your compressor around on a job, just add hose if needed. Size could make a difference on repeated shots, but I use 2 each 7/16 x 50' braided hose on site, one out each outlet with two framers, and have no problems. But I am using a double hot dog Ridgid, so it may have more volume than yours.

Old 06-01-08, 09:51 AM
N
i have a black and decker compressor, 2 gallon, and the hose i'm gonna say its around 1/4" ID and 25' long. I saw the gun was oily before i started, but i oiled it anyway to make sure. I have 100 psi on my regulator gauge, which is just before the air goes into the hose. The thing works great for my brad nailers anyway . If i get time today i'll swing by my old mans place, he has a 50 gallon Puma compressor and somewhere around a 1/2" hose. If that doesn't drive them i'll let you know.

Old 06-01-08, 09:57 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,262 Upvotes on 1,203 Posts
Your set up sounds ok to me. Try eliminating one variable at a time - use the "old man's" compressor and your hose, then his hose and your compressor, his nail gun and your compressor/hose,... until you get good results. Then you'll know the weak link.

Old 06-01-08, 03:34 PM
N
sounds like a plan to me mitch, i took it over today, at 100 psi it still wouldn't drive nails in past 1/4". Cranked it up to 120 psi (max for the nailer) and it drove them in just so the nail head touched the hood. That will probably work, but i'm not to impressed with it either.

Another thing i forgot to mention is i'm using these plastic collated nails and it almost seems to me like it could be the plastic holding it up. Any chance this theory holds water?

Old 06-01-08, 04:18 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,262 Upvotes on 1,203 Posts
I have a Porter-Cable that uses plastic colated nails and I don't have that problem. Used it last about twenty minutes ago.

Old 06-01-08, 06:17 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I know you said you had it adjusted properly, but could you check the nose setting again. I can't comprehend a nailer not setting the nails if properly adjusted.

Old 06-01-08, 07:20 PM
How about the lubrication for this nailer? Put the recommended daily dose of nailer oil down the air connection.

After that, take it to a repair shop (find a framing contractor supply house) and let them fire a few nails with it. The plastic should not be an issue if the air supply is right.

The other item is to use your other hand and arm to push the nailer into the wood before you pull the trigger. This is not a finish gun - if you just lightly touch the wood enough to depress the safety, the recoil will send more energy pushing the nailer away from the lumber rather than driving the nail into it. That's why it weighs about 8 pounds. Even then, the nail will be left high if you don't keep the nailer pushed against the work.

Old 06-10-08, 06:22 PM
N
hey guys thought i'd give you an update since i got my nailer to function better. The nailer came with a modified trigger so i can just tap the nailer and the nails shoot out (which is exactly what i wanted it to do). Replaced that and they run down flush with the wood. Today framing up some walls i can run about 8 nails before my compressor turns on, and then i have to wait for pressure otherwise they don't sink. The other problem i've discovered is my hose is 1/4" and my nailer requires atleast 3/8". I need a new hose anyway because it is getting kinked.

Anyway, thx fellas

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: