Burnham Alpine boiler - Ideas?

Old 10-02-10, 09:48 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Burnham Alpine boiler - Ideas?

Thoughts on this boiler?
U.S. Boiler::Alpine, a condensing boiler with efficiency ratings of 95%
It's got a stainless burner (drum style) and 5:1 turndown. Considering this or the Triangle Tube. I run Propane gas. Love to hear your thoughts, ideas, comparisons. Thanks,

Gruni14

Old 10-03-10, 06:28 AM
X
Didn't you just ask this yesterday?

Both the Burnham and the TT are fine products. Properly installed, either would do very well.

Old 10-03-10, 07:42 AM
G
I did. I think my earlier post was too long and complex, a lot of 'looks' but no real feedback. I was afraid I may have scared off would-be posters. What I'd like to get is feedback on the benefits (or detractions) of the different style burners. For example, the TT has the vertical burner and supposedly the condensate will wash much of the soot down, producing less maintenance. Burnham Alpine more of a drum style.

Gruni14

Old 10-03-10, 07:59 AM
NJT
Received 8 Upvotes on 6 Posts
I don't think that it was too long or complex... just that there probably aren't a lot of folks here that have experience with either. Also, from what I've seen here over the years, the posts that ask specific questions rather than opinion requests get more feedback...

Original post linked here for reference, I'm going to close the other thread:
http://forum.doityourself.com/boiler...am-alpine.html

I didn't answer cuz I don't know! I'm one that has zero real world experience with either!

supposedly the condensate will wash much of the soot down,
I sure hope that soot isn't a problem with an LP fired unit? I should think that if the boiler is producing soot from LP, there would be a whole heckuva lot more to worry about than the design of the combustion chamber!

Old 10-13-10, 06:51 PM
S
I'm curious how you are progressing on your decision. I'm in the exact same boat, trying to decide alpine vs tt solo. Most of installer that I talked recommend alpine and I think that's just because they are more familiar with it. I found one installer that is passionate about tt and quote me a reasonable price. My worry is though if I have a problem with tt down the road, I'm afraid that I won't have good support because not many plumbers around here seems to be familiar with it. Alpine on the other hand has 5 year labor warranty and just about any plumber seems to know about it. But I liked the vertial burner design and been hearing good things on the internet. I like thier IDWH with tank in tank design.

So what should I do????

Old 10-13-10, 07:43 PM
X
Both are good. Properly installed and maintained, they should provide years of reliable performance. Go with the best installer.

Old 10-18-10, 11:10 AM
E
I posted an earlier question regarding mod-con vs. old technology and thought I'd jump in on this. It's taken 3 weeks to get two proposals back from five contractors (the other three never followed up after site visit). One bid is twice as high as the other. The highest bidder recommended a Triangle Tube Prestige Solo mod-con, plus a Triangle Tube Smart 50 indirect water heater. His price is a whopping $12,320. I priced Triangle boilers and water heaters online at around $5000 for both. Aren't labor charges of over 7K a bit steep? The other bidder proposed a Burnham cast-iron boiler, direct vent, plus an indirect fired water heater--he came in at 7K total. I know the Triangle qualifies for tax credit and Burnham doesn't, but... Another comment, not one contractor cares what my heat-calcs are. They all say either they won't do them, don't want to see the ones I did, or that they don't matter. Anyone care to comment?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: