found the slant fin heat loss calculator

Old 01-06-10, 04:39 PM
L
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
found the slant fin heat loss calculator

Contact Us - P.V. Sullivan Supply Co., Inc.

I already have it but a friend was looking for it and i happened upon this site.

Old 01-07-10, 05:03 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the link! I have been looking for this for weeks.

Old 01-07-10, 07:09 AM
Received 66 Upvotes on 55 Posts
The only question is there a problem and that is why Slant Fin does not offer anymore.

Old 01-07-10, 03:31 PM
D
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I started to mess with it last night to compare it to HVAC Calc. I did 2 rooms in the slant fin. The Slant Fin program lacks an ability to account for air tightness and to add fireplaces to the room which HVAC Calc allows. Not having those options made the calculations drastically lower in Slant Fin vs HVAC Calc.

Old 01-07-10, 03:57 PM
M
I lost my Slant/Fin program when a computer crapped out. But, I think it was the most recent version before they took it off their website. The one on the Sullivan site is ver. 2.0.

I have a print-out from a heat-loss analysis I did. Each room has a "infiltration factor," probably derived from my inputed window and door types/tightness.

Old 01-07-10, 05:39 PM
X
Originally Posted by rbeck
The only question is there a problem and that is why Slant Fin does not offer anymore.
I understood from a Slant/Fin rep that it was withdrawn because the product selector feature no longer reflected their current lineup of boilers, emitters, tubing, etc.

There was not anything wrong with the Manual J calculation component.

I remember cranking through a Manual J calc based on an old paper copy of the Manual J stuff, and comparing it to the Slant/Fin-ware v2. The results were the same.

Old 01-08-10, 04:34 AM
L
when my contractor measured the rooms himself he came up with approximately the same calc as i did with slant fin but i'm not sure how he did his calculations. Still, i'd say the program is valuable even if it's not perfect. I just gave it to a coworker and he was happy to get it.

Old 01-10-10, 08:09 PM
C
well, so far I have not had much time to work with this program, but the little time that I have been able to work with it, I will say that it is very simple, and yields the results needed. I was also impressed that it also gives proper sizing for a DHW setup.Beer 4U2

Old 01-11-10, 11:45 AM
Received 66 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Just remember it is only as good as the information input. As they say garbage in garbage out. Make sure you check all screens for proper setup.
I have seen where homeowners used self programs and missed unconditioned walls or not calculated second floor hallways as they had no exposure. What about the hallway ceiling, that is an exposure. Treating partial basements different than full basements, cape cods where the second floor is smaller than the first floor and therefore there is first floor ceiling exposure behind knee walls.
There are plenty of things to miss due to inexperience. Just make sure you touch all bases. Too expensive of an investment to find out the first design OD temp day the boiler is undersized.

Old 10-08-10, 06:02 AM
L
I'm bumping this because we are coming up on heating season and i see some questions regarding heat loss and want folks to know where to get this calculator so they dont get scammed by contractors who just give them the same size boiler as they have now

Old 10-08-10, 04:14 PM
M
Good idea. Slant/Fin removed their helpful heat-loss program from their company website about a year ago, as I recall.

There was speculation about Why? Reportedly, they needed to update the program to better key into current Slant/Fin products. I'm not sure I now believe that story. I wonder if some corporate legal-beagle opined that if the accuracy of the heat-loss program were challenged, Slant/Fin could be sued?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: