Foundation type

Old 04-29-02, 06:06 PM
PatriciaB
Visiting Guest
Question Foundation type

Hi there, I'm hoping somebody here can advise me on the house plan at this site:

http://www.southernliving.com/housep...er=297&View=RD

The foundation is described as "pier" and yet it looks like basement as well. There doesn't seem to be any way to ask questions at the site with the plan and before I spend $350 for a study set, I'm hoping to get a little light shed on just what may be below the first floor of this design...thanks for any insight you can give.

Old 05-01-02, 05:07 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Pier posts

PatriciaB,

I went to the site and if you click on the following link, you can ask the questions that you seek answers to. The structure looks like it could be a walk out basement, since the garage doors are on the lower right side. I assume any structure can be altered, for a price.

http://www.southernliving.com/custom...e/comments.asp

Hope this helps you.

Old 05-01-02, 11:02 AM
PatriciaB
Visiting Guest
Question foundation

Thanks for your comments Doug. I did ask a question at that link but haven't received a response. It does look like a basement/garage, doesn't it? I would very interested in extra space like that which is why I'm curious about it. thanks again.

Old 05-04-02, 08:21 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I looked at it and it is a pier foundation. The walls are concrete, at least they look like it. The piers are inside the walls and probably through out the basement at stratigic points in walls.
A pier foundation just means it does not have a four or five foot
foundation wall underground with a footing.

Old 05-04-02, 11:09 AM
PatriciaB
Visiting Guest
Pier foundation/island basement

You're right, after some research this week I came to the conclusion that it is an island basement . And the plans site did e-mail back with this info about it:

"Thanks for your inquiry. This foundation is unique. Essentially this home is intended to be built on an elevated foundation which happens to be an above the ground basement. It could also be built with a "true basement"with slight modifications."

Old 05-18-02, 05:12 PM
taxpayer
Visiting Guest
Southern Living Home Plans

PatriciaB,
The type of plan you plan to purchase is a typical example of a Louisina house. It was designed by Allison Ramsey Architects who are based in Beaufort, South Carolina which itself is a coast area.
The foundation shown is an above ground foundation. This is the usual construction with typle house in coastal areas. You should be aware that if you build this house with a standard basement, it will take on a completely different look and character.
If you would really like some detailed info, call the architects in Beaufort.
Also, here is a link to a Coastal Living (part of Southern Living) that showcases the plan and gives more information about is design.
Best of Luck,
David

Old 05-18-02, 05:14 PM
taxpayer
Visiting Guest
Old 05-19-02, 12:12 PM
PatriciaB
Visiting Guest
Hi David, thanks for the link. I wouldn't want to change a design like this to a regular basement since it would just wreck it, I think. I could probably be done but then it's a completely different house. What I was trying to figure out is if the ground level area was usable - as a "pier" or island basement foundation, I don't think it would be. Apparently, the piers have just been covered with boarding and in other similar designs you would see lattice work instead.

Cheers,

Patricia

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: