Two-Part Epoxy Paint for Bathtubs

Old 09-18-08, 09:46 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Two-Part Epoxy Paint for Bathtubs

Is the two-part epoxy paint product for bathtubs the same as the two-part epoxy paint used to paint garage floors? It always seems there isn't enough of the product in the kit to finish the tub. If the garage floor paint is the same product, there would be more than enough to finish the job, and I think it may be cheaper. Has anyone tried this?

Old 09-18-08, 02:33 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
These products do not last. I've heard horror stories of people using these on their tubs/shower and it just start peeling and wearing off within a year or two.

Old 09-20-08, 04:39 PM
I have read other reviews that would support HotinOKC's comments. HotinOKC's forewarning is warranted, many people have had catastrophes associated with using it. I used this product (Tough as Tile), about 5 years ago. We got our tub from an old farm. It had trees growing in it, there was no porcelain on the bottom and was just wasting in the woods. Today, 5 years later, it is still in excellent condition...... BUT I read and followed the instructions PERFECTLY. I bought two kits and started early in the morning, like 7:00 a.m., then had to wait for 16 hours to begin the next coat, which means that I got up around 2:00 a.m. to start the second coat. It isn't just open the can and start painting - I also used every cleaning item listed on the package and in the order it says to use them. The instructions say to use TSP and other cleaners plus steel wool and to wait for a certain amount of time for everything to be perfectly dry before you begin. You need to begin at the bottom and work your way up the sides. My tub is 6 feet long so each application took me nearly 2 hours. Then the instructions say NOT to use the tub for at least five days. If you have alot of patience and are prepared to follow the instructions to the letter, you could make it work. You get what you put into it.

BTW.....I Love my bathtub!

Old 09-21-08, 10:55 PM
H
previous poster is right on. it's all in the prep work. prep, prep, prep!!!!! i've used Tile-Doc brand before and it has worked great. just remember that you can't just clean the tub before painting like you would normally clean it. do the right steps in the right order and take your time.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: