PC Game Question

Old 08-30-08, 01:31 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Angry PC Game Question

I am wondering if anyone can help me to get a pc game to play on my computer. I have a game from 1995 and the requirements for the game are as follows:

Microsoft Windows 3.1 or higher
DOS 6.2 or Higher
486/33MHz IBM or 100% Compatible PC
6MB RAM
SVGA Display (640x480x256 Color)
16-Bit Sound Card
10MB Free Hard Disk Space

Now when I have tried to put this on my current pc I got a message saying that I didnt have DOS 6.2. I currently have a DELL Dimension 2200 with Windows XP Professional. If someone could help me out with trying to get this game to play I would greatly appreciate it, I have missed this game.

PS...I have also tried to switch compatability modes as well with no success.

Thanks,

niceguy4u36

Old 08-30-08, 02:15 PM
Super Moderator
Received 391 Upvotes on 319 Posts
Wow, that is an old game!
Some games and programs are just plain too old to run on new computers. I have read where some set up their pc to run a dual OS so that one is an older version of windows (whatever is needed).
Another thing you can do (what I would do) is go to a thrift store or a salvation army place and see if they have any old computers laying around. I often see them and they're really cheap. You could use it just to play that game. Well, it's a thought anyway.

Old 08-30-08, 02:43 PM
N
Thank you, I never thought of that and just today I noticed a pc at a yard sale that was pretty old so maybe I will go back and see what kind it is and give it a try. Thanks again for your assistance.

Old 08-31-08, 12:53 AM
R
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
What game is it? Most have been ported to the newer operating systems. Or, search the name of the game and the word "emulator".

You can install Win3.1 and DOS 6.2 on the machine and set it up as a dual boot. Get ready for an interesting experience, though. You'll spend a whole lot more time getting it to run properly than you will playing the game.

Old 08-31-08, 05:15 AM
O
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Installing dual-boot can be a trying experience, especially since Microsoft doesn't want you to do it. Get another machine to play the game on.

Old 08-31-08, 10:08 PM
H
I would probably be less risky and easier to install DOS/Win31 on a virtual machine than going the dual boot route. That way you also don't have to reboot the machine to play the game. Microsoft Virtual PC is free to download.

Old 09-02-08, 08:24 AM
M
Talking

Wow,

exactly what game is it?
Maybe something like Wolf 3D, prince of persia or monkey island

Please tell us, I also like old games hehe.

You can also download an emulator, without needing to instal any DOS. Try to find one!

Old 09-03-08, 04:10 PM
N
The game is Quest for Fame. It's a game where you play as a garage band and work your way up to playing a concert with Aerosmith. I used to have a pc that would play it but got rid of it when I got my new one and now this one will not run it.

Old 09-03-08, 08:19 PM
N
Originally Posted by husbus
I would probably be less risky and easier to install DOS/Win31 on a virtual machine than going the dual boot route. That way you also don't have to reboot the machine to play the game. Microsoft Virtual PC is free to download.
I have gone to the Microsoft site but noticed that Microsoft Virtual PC is for Vista. I have XP Professional and would you know if it would work for XP Professional?

Thanks,

niceguy4u36

Old 09-03-08, 09:11 PM
H
Originally Posted by niceguy4u36
I have gone to the Microsoft site but noticed that Microsoft Virtual PC is for Vista. I have XP Professional and would you know if it would work for XP Professional?

Thanks,

niceguy4u36
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

"Virtual PC 2007 runs on: Windows Vista™ Business; Windows Vista™ Enterprise; Windows Vista™ Ultimate; Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition; Windows Server 2003, Standard x64 Edition; Windows XP Professional; Windows XP Professional x64 Edition; or Windows XP Tablet PC Edition"

Download the 32-bit version, unless you have the 64-bit version of XP.

Old 09-04-08, 11:41 AM
T
have you tried the compatibility mode of XP yet? Right click on the exe, select Properties and then the compatibility tab. It had worked for some of my old DOS programs but not all.

Another thing is DOSBOX, but I've never got it to work quite right. It is a free version of DOS that works as a separate program.

Old 09-04-08, 03:15 PM
N
Originally Posted by txrxio
have you tried the compatibility mode of XP yet? Right click on the exe, select Properties and then the compatibility tab. It had worked for some of my old DOS programs but not all.

Another thing is DOSBOX, but I've never got it to work quite right. It is a free version of DOS that works as a separate program.
Yes I have tried compatibility mode and got nothing. I do have DOSBOX on my laptop and I never thought of that...its worth a shot. Thanks for the help though.

Old 09-08-08, 07:50 AM
H
Wow, Quest for Fame is an old game. I had problems running that game when it was new with crashes and what not.

Old 09-08-08, 08:08 PM
tae
You can check out this site for possible solutions:
http://www.dosgames.com/xphints.php

You could also try this tool here:
http://www.angelfire.com/realm/zeroone/
Abandon Loader provides a front-end interface designed to maintain compatibility
and simplify configuration of old DOS games on modern PC's.
Requires Win9x/2000/XP.

Old 09-13-08, 03:09 AM
S
Re:PC game Question

HI,i like u r fourm.I saw u r sites which u r given.They are very interesting.But i want a some more sites to view.
-------------
Sukhjits

Last edited by Rick Johnston; 09-13-08 at 07:09 AM. Reason: Link removed. Advertising is not allowed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: