Thermador GG30 auto-shutoff sparkers wont stop

Old 09-05-00, 09:10 PM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

We have Thermador GG30 which I believe has auto-shutoff sparkers. However, when a buner is turned on, all sparkers tick. The selected burner will ignite gas, but all sparkers continue to spark until all burners are shut-off. How can I determine where/what the problem is? Thanx, NelDel

Old 09-06-00, 02:07 PM
Visiting Guest
Hi:NelDel

Many brands use this system of making all the sparkers operational on stove tops.

However, there are several varities. I suspect yours turns on manually when you turn the burner knob to fully on.

If the sparkers continue to spark when the burner flame is lowered, one of the switches on the gas valve stem may be sticking.

You must disconnect the electrical power first, then you can check each switch. With an ohmn meter across the terminals of each switch there should be no reading. Which means the switch is as it should be, opened.

Good Luck,
TomBartco

Old 09-06-00, 02:58 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

Tom;
Thanx for the reply. The problem with the cooktop is that even after the gas is ignited, the sparkers keep on sparking/ticking. Isn't there some type of mechanism that detects the presence of the flame and shuts-off the sparkers?

Old 09-06-00, 05:59 PM
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb

Hi:NelDel

After reading your second posting, I think I have a better understanding of the ignition system used on your stove top.

The sparkers should automatically turn off when the sparker is heated by the burner flame. Therefore your correct and the problem may just be the module.

Here's a brief discription on how it works:

The sparker changes electrical resistence value when heated by the flame. This resistence is then sensed by the module, which, turns off the electric flow to the sparkers.

Possible corrections:
Gently clean the sparkers with a pipe cleaner wire and NO LIQUIDS.
Be sure the burner flame touches the sparkers. <Clean the holes in the burners if needed.>
Check the sparker wires and also the wires at the burner knob switches for good condition & connections. <Be sure to unplug the stove first.>
Check for a good electrical ground both at the wall outlet and at the module.
If only one burner causes this problem, it may be a defective wire at that one sparker.
If all burners cause this problem, it's most likely the spark module if your sure all the top burner valve switches are in the open postition when the knob is off. <Use that ohmn meter to test the switches and electric resistence of the sparker wires.>

As you can tell from all this, it often takes the expierence of an onsite service person to correct this problem. Lets hope you can locate and correct it yourself. If not, you'll need to call for service.

Good Luck,
TomBartco

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: