RV Skin seperating

Old 04-02-06, 08:20 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Smile RV Skin seperating

We have an 1987 27 foot Winnebago Itasca Sunflyer. It was sitting next to a Big barn like building for almost 5 years in Moses Lake, Washington. Hot and dry in the summer and snow and cold in the winter. The skin is seperating from the body of the vehicle on the driver side, 10 feet back about 4 foot x 6 foot section. The side has actually popped loose at the top creating about a 6 inch gap that you can look down into. This seperation is making the sides bubble out in multiple places.
Does anybody have an idea how much this might cost to have repaired.
I was thinking of trying to repair this myself...using a small filler hose and pumping something like liquid nails into the gap and then using some kind of roller to press the siding back to the plywood. I then figured on using 3/8 inch self threading screws dipped in a sealant to attach the skin back to the body and along the top seam...Good idea or Bad idea?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Old 04-09-06, 04:54 AM
M
One of the first things to consider is, how did moisture get in there, to cause this "Delamination"? It is not an uncommon problem with RV's that have laminated sidewalls. To help understand what you have there, keep in mind that you have a layer of panel,(inside wall) then dense styrofoam approx 2" thick, then your exterior panel, usually "Filon" or "fiberglass" and they are all laminated (Glued) together as one. The glue letting go on the outside panel is usually a cause of moisture getting in behind it. One of the best ways to tell where moisture is getting in, is to look real close around, on top, sides etc., of the area that is delaminating. Do you see a window directly above it, or molding at the highest point, or maybe a range vent, or any other exterior item that may have a poor seal. When you find, or think you found it, reseal it. Don't leave anything to chance, just because it looks o.k. Is the wall directly opposite the delam,(inside) showing any signs of moisture? Maybe a water line inside with a small undetected leak? All these have to be taken into consideration when trying to pinpoint the source of the moisture. Now to the fun part. Trying to pump glue in there will probably be a waste of time, because obviously moisture will more than likely still be present, and if not, the back of your exterior panel is usually attached to a panel similar to subflooring, which is likely coming apart, and won't be easy to glue to when it's all broken up. Different manufacturers use different methods, but are basically assembled the same. you can do a little exploration, to see what's behind there, if you remove whatever is at it's highest point, or easiest to remove in that area, that will expose an edge that is affected, just be sure to reseal properly when done looking. They did, at one time use fiberglass insulation between the walls, but I'm not 100% sure on your particular vehicle. If your not a do-it-yourself kind of guy, check with an RV repair place, or a bodyshop that repairs transport trucks, for an estimate. I have seen them done by cutting the delam area out with a dremel tool or similar, and regluing a piece in, which cures the problem, but sometimes is very hard to match surface texture & color, thus a repair being done there, is pretty obvious. If a large decal can be put over top to dress it up, great, but that is usually not an option without the RV looking like a spaceship or something. One thing to keep in mind as far as glue goes, we've used PL400 construction adhesive to re-attach new piece, but be sure you use it where it contacts metal or wood bracing, and get the proper PL (200?) used for gluing to styrofoam, if you have strofoam back there also. After you apply adhesives & apply piece to sidewall, be sure to brace it for approx.24 hrs to cure.
My guesstimate, to have it done at a shop, will vary from method used, how many items remove to get at it etc, how fussy you are about finish when done etc. ($500 for quick fix, to $1000 for proper fix, with close paint match, & up to $3500-$5000, for proper fix, with whole side painted to insure proper match of texture & color.) Hope this is of some help, in making your decision. If you have a digital picture, of damaged area, I could probably help you pinpoint cause, and be closer on estimate. Good Luck, Mike

Old 04-09-06, 11:56 AM
RE:Sidewall Delamination

Thanks for the information Mike. I have removed a couple od the small access panels on the side and seen that their is fairly large area where the plywood inside has deliminated. I had a gentlemen who has an "RV Traveling Repair" kind of roadshow come and look at this...your estimate is exactly what he said it would cost.
We are in the process of trying to sell this unit and have decreased our selling price accordingly with an addendum about the delamination...basically an "as is" sale.
Thanks for the response and feedback
Cliff

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: